Author Topic: Windows Enviroment  (Read 4782 times)

Description:

Transk53

• Looking forward to 2013, odd is good :)
Re: Windows Enviroment
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 05:29:57 am »
Had a good run through the Windows sections and came out in quite a good place. Should really stop being so self deprecating. Lost count of the amount of OS'es I have installed over the years right back to 3.1. Why the heck am I fretting about Vista upgrades and a fresh install of W7. One slight concern is the need to remember each step of the aforementioned upgrades and installs.

My short term memory a little flakey so have to rely on long term memory. I have seen it quoted that reading before bed can have a wonderous effect on retaining what you have read more precisely. Then again, I have in the past that reading very early in the morning is just as beneficial. Can anybody actually attest as to whether this is fact or fiction?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:30:44 am by Transk53 »

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 07:37:46 am »
I couldn't attest to either. People are going to differ in effective methods of retaining information. I have a small recorder that I'll listen to throughout the day, but I still couldn't swear that I actually retain any of the information that I listen to. Maybe somewhat because I'll listen to each recording multiple times and I do tend to pick up more on some of the specifics that way.
"Success is the small voice you hear within,
when you know you have done your best."

Transk53

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 09:46:05 am »
I think one of the areas that I need to improve on is Math. Now this may seem a little strange, but I actually believe my Math block affects how I assimulate information. As such I am going back to Math school as it were. I looked at some Hex tables and realised I have forgotten how to work it out. Hopefully, adding the Numeracy back to Literature, will improve my Memory retention in the short term, rather than having to rely on the longer term. I could try and articulate what I mean, but I guess learning symmetry is what I need.

Tag

• CompTIA A+ Certified
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 10:03:42 am »
My best approach is through a combination of hands-on and repitition. Doesn't always work, but I try to make an exercise out of each topic and just keep repeating the process until it becomes like second nature and I feel like I understand it.
'Tis better to keep my mouth shut and be thought a fool,
than it is to open it and remove all doubt.

Transk53

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 10:08:59 am »
A part of that would be method to me as well. However, my learning skills are somewhat different from the norm.

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 10:24:23 am »
Sounds like you and one of my younger brothers have a lot in common. He's no dummy by any means, but his mind wanders a lot. Just the same, he does the best he can, and I guess that's all we expect of him. Sooner or later he does get matters sorted, so we'll stand beside him in support.

Transk53

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 02:07:44 pm »
I am glad to read that. I only have my Sister, but she does not what it is like to have a mind that is never quiet. For that, I can emphasize with your Brother. By that I mean on a strictly non personal basis. My wanders and sometimes exists in a completely chaotic order, one that is designed to frustrate. I always skip to the presumed answer, that is where I fail in simplistic terms. That is the reason that I have decided to eliminate the Math block in my head. I strive towards pragmatism all the time steering away form the precise, which Math is. Hence learning symmetry.

Transk53

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 01:32:37 pm »
One thing occurs to me that I would like to ask. When using a Recovery Disc, do the windows updates get protected?

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 04:18:55 pm »
I suppose it would depend on when the recovery disc was created. If it was created during the initial install, I don't believe so. I've only had to perform a recovery once some time ago, and if memory serves me, the drive was reformatted. Now I have reinstalled the system on several occasions, but I use an ISO file with the service packs built in.

Good question, I'll do a little research and see if I can come up with a more definitive answer.

Transk53

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 05:42:53 am »
Thinking about it, I have only ever had to enact a recovery just the once. That was only due to a botched Vista update. I don't remember like with XP, that a slew of KB updates needed to be re-downloaded. Perhaps the partition keeps an imprint and they are just re-enacted, rather than a full re-download.

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 08:28:47 am »
It is something that a tech especially should be somewhat familiar with, not just for the A+, but for everyday practice as well. You never know when that little bit of knowledge might become a necessity. I did locate one article (of many) that I found very informative about the different procedures and systems. Well worth a read.

Windows Recovery Hints

Transk53

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 09:37:18 am »
Quite. It was always going to be the case that the programers and hardware/systems guys would have to merge skills at a certain level. I'll have a read through that linkage. I may also be able to get hold of a copy of a multi licenced W7 Install disc. I did alleast manage to do a fresh install of XP SP2 and thankfully kept the Windows mag cover disc with SP3. Not long after, the free Monitor crapped out lol. Guess when it is free... :D

Transk53

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 01:48:20 pm »
One Rig cleaned and one Toledo 3800X2 purring quite nicely. What a girl, booting up first time after 3 years and CMOS held!!!!!!!!!!!!