Author Topic: Windows Enviroment  (Read 4982 times)

Description:

Transk53

• Looking forward to 2013, odd is good :)
Windows Enviroment
« on: January 28, 2012, 02:02:31 pm »
Just know I am going to struggle a little with the good ole OS. Have never realy delved that much into an OS. Yeah sure, I know the mechanics enough, just have never explored (no pun intended) Windows or Linux like a General IT person. Any tips on striping that back to the Newbie level in terms of learning and how, would be welcomed.

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
Re: Windows Enviroment
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 02:16:26 pm »
Do you have a VM installed or an extra machine to practice with? What parts are giving you the most trouble?
"Success is the small voice you hear within,
when you know you have done your best."

Transk53

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 02:26:52 pm »
Well I could try and give my old Socket 939 a defib. Pretty sure the VRM's are drooping. At Stock though... Mainly it is the everyday usage of Windows. For example, I could use a cmd prompt to run ipconfig, but I may struggle with knowing exactly where things are. For example again, knowing where the hibernation and power settings are. Things I should know at heart and accross differing MS OS'es

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 05:14:07 pm »
Well, the power settings are in the control panel. Open the control panel and look for the power options. If you can install an OS in a virtual machine or fire up a spare, you can use most of the A+ books as a guide.

As you go through the chapters of the book or even the exam objectives, experiment with each topic. If you need to, look them up on the web, then follow the paths, check out all of the various options and menus, and use them if it's possible. I have a virtual box set up that I can experiment with. That way I don't have to worry about messing anything up. If I do, I can just reinstall it.

Transk53

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 05:48:54 am »
Quote from: Bill
Well, the power settings are in the control panel. Open the control panel and look for the power options.

Yeah, just an exmaple there. Same point though realy. Don't whether if it is due to the "I know what I need to know and no more" type ethos, but I tend to forget where certain things are, but not others. Hence why I reckon I should build my Windows usage skills. Windows 3.1 was cool and easy lol. Going to search the knowledge base for some tutorials.

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 06:15:11 am »
Don't whether if it is due to the "I know what I need to know and no more" type ethos, but I tend to forget where certain things are, but not others.
I do the same thing. I can review the different commands and features, go through the different paths to find them all, but if it's not something that I use on a regular basis, it just goes away and hides somewhere in the back of my mind.

Every now and then, I'll start over and go through them all again, and once in a while something will stick, but I guess I'm just getting too set in my ways.

Transk53

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 08:47:40 am »
Every now and then, I'll start over and go through them all again, and once in a while something will stick, but I guess I'm just getting too set in my ways.

Guess in that context, me too. Can't do won't do with Windows I suppose, but need to improve the basics in terms of knowledge. Not that I was that great with DOS, these menus in Vista are a nightmare sometimes. I did think of getting hold of VM Ware or something, if I could get legally for free, A lite ver or something older. I would rather do something like that with a W7 source disc, I not sure I would trust the recovery disc method, hidden partitions or not.

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 09:21:58 am »
I did think of getting hold of VM Ware or something, if I could get legally for free
Over in the main site, I've got an overview of the A+ exam with tips for taking the exams. There's a section on hands-on experience that has links to the free versions of Microsoft Virtual PC, VirtualBox, and VMware. Have a look there. I use the VPC here, but each of them have some different features. Kind of handy for playing around with the BIOS or newer programs.

One of them, maybe virtualbox, has a feature for saving the configuration once it's set up. Kind of handy for multiple installations or if something goes wrong while you're using it. I installed mine off of an ISO file, pretty quick that way.

A+ Overview

Transk53

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 09:45:26 am »
I'll have a looksie at home, probably go for VMware. Thing is though, not sure what I would do with it off the top of my head.

Transk53

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 02:47:07 pm »
Have I ever mentioned how I hate Software :P

Transk53

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 05:14:07 am »
Hi Guys, one more question on this topic. If I downloaded an evaluation ver of Windows 7 Enterprise, would the install method be the same as one full version downloaded or installed form disc? The reason I ask is, would the options be different over W7 at the install?

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 06:40:10 am »
I've never installed an evaluation version, so I can't really say what the process entails.

Can you still get an evaluation copy? Most of what I read says that distribution was limited, but most of the posts I found were older. Might look into it more a bit later. I could always try it on a VM.

I did find one post that provided some information, I don't know how much it will really help though.

Windows 7 Enterprise 90 Day Trial FAQ

Transk53

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 07:47:26 am »
That is the link I found earlier. You can still get evaluation discs, but most of the time, you need to be a tech journalist or know someone that works for a PC Company.

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 08:05:49 am »
I read somewhere that there are different methods of access for pros than others. May have read it wrong. I've got a pretty full schedule today, I don't know if I'll have the time, but I may go ahead and set up another VM and try it mtself just to familiarize myself with the process. I'll keep you posted.

Transk53

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 09:15:02 am »
Yeah. Still got to get around to the advice you gave me with a VM. Just for safety sake, I want to get the Rig up and running rather than install to my Lappy. Have a good day.