Author Topic: Realistic hope of being employed  (Read 1884 times)

Description:

Transk53

• Looking forward to 2013, odd is good :)
Realistic hope of being employed
« on: January 14, 2012, 09:44:45 am »
Ok peeps. I don't mind admiting my age here and it pertinent to my question. I do not know how it is in the USA, but in Blighty, and nearly being 41, I am a pensioner in terms of what I guess you guys call the "Labour Market". Now in America, would someone in my position struggle to find employment at my age in IT. Obviously in the UK it would be somewhat different due to population, so as such I am just trying to gauge if the IT world is the same accross the Globe with the Age thing. Difficult to answer I know, so perhaps as Errol Flynn maybe asked for, do I need some different arrows to compliment my current ones?

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
Re: Realistic hope of being employed
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 02:06:32 pm »

I can't imagine being unmarketable for employment at 41, even over there.

One of my daughters, whom I might add is the same age as you, always wanted to be a teacher. But she also wanted to be a wife and mother. Shortly after school, she married and started building a family, and her dream of becoming a teacher was put on hold. Long story short, just a few years ago, she finally went back to school and is now teaching English at a local community college.

Maybe the IT industry is somehow different, but a lot of employers look for maturity and stability in prospective employees. With the proper training and attitude, there's no reason you can't stand out above the other candidates. Keep your focus and never stand down. 41 is just getting good.
"Success is the small voice you hear within,
when you know you have done your best."

Transk53

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 02:51:56 pm »
Thanks for sharing that with me. That is something that I will add to my thoughts for the future development of my skills set.

Transk53

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 06:14:25 am »
Been thinking about direction here and I cannot see myself as the traditional IT worker in an office environment. Really fancy the UK Railways as a Tech. Think that would be very rewarding over dealing with people whom have downloaded something and not admit it for example. Think a non office environment would suit my love of Hardware.