Author Topic: Entry level job prospects/pay potential?  (Read 4417 times)

Description:

jaydot33

Entry level job prospects/pay potential?
« on: January 13, 2012, 06:50:43 am »
Now I may be getting ahead of myself but as I formulate my game plan for the next year or so I was wondering what I would be worth by the time I graduated. I'm currently studying for the Net+ while completing my associates in Networking. By the time I graduate (hopefully next fall or spring semester) I would like have my Net+, Security+, and A+ certs. After which I would like to enter the work force and get my CCNA within the following year.

My question is, with just an associates, and the above mentioned CompTia certs, how much would I be worth at an entry level? Living in the NY/NJ area, how much could I look to for a starting salary?
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."

So, the question is, how bad do you want it?

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
Re: Entry level job prospects/pay potential?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 07:09:08 am »
With the current job market being what it is, and the lack of actual experience, it's really hard to put any kind of dollar amount out there. I do look for the IT industry to really rebound and you definitely have some positive goals and seem to be focused on them.

We have our own business (non-IT), so I'm not really up to date on what the average person entering the job market is making. If you can accomplish your goals, that should at least put you in an excellent position to do well. Let me do a little research and see if I can locate a bit of information on the potentials of todays market and what credentials might be most beneficial.

By the way, welcome aboard.
"Success is the small voice you hear within,
when you know you have done your best."

jaydot33

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 07:38:32 am »
Thank you sir, very happy to have a forum to turn to where I can get informative answers and advice from folks who actually know what they're talking about.
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 08:05:55 am »

It's good to have you with us. Take a little time to look around the site. We're still new, but adding content each day. If there's anything in particular that you would like to see, new features, additional forum categories or topics in the Wiki, don't hesitate to ask. I can't promise everything, but I'll do my best to accomodate.

jaydot33

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 08:32:57 am »
Will do! Thanks again! I'll try to contribute and help to the best of my abilities

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 06:43:46 am »

Here's a site that may help answer your question about salaries. Now, this reflects the 2010 figures,
and doesn't break it down into experience or credentials, but you may be able to tweak the search a bit.

Bureau of Labor Statistics
Network and Computer Systems Administrators

The industry has taken a bit of a hit in the last few years, along with the rest of the world, and I'm sure it's going to come down to the needs of individual employers and what they're willing to pay, but it may give you a place to start.

From what I'm seeing, there seems to be more of a demand for developers at the moment, but there will always be a need for technicians and administrators. Hope this helps.

jaydot33

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 07:48:33 pm »

Here's a site that may help answer your question about salaries. Now, this reflects the 2010 figures,
and doesn't break it down into experience or credentials, but you may be able to tweak the search a bit.

Bureau of Labor Statistics
Network and Computer Systems Administrators

The industry has taken a bit of a hit in the last few years, along with the rest of the world, and I'm sure it's going to come down to the needs of individual employers and what they're willing to pay, but it may give you a place to start.

From what I'm seeing, there seems to be more of a demand for developers at the moment, but there will always be a need for technicians and administrators. Hope this helps.

that's not bad...in this economy, I'm trying to be practical and reasonable. By that I mean, staying with my folks for a little until I can find a job that pays me in the mid 40K-50K, or until I get married (which I wouldn't mind doing in the next 3-4 years) I'm currently 20 years old now working part time whilst trying to complete my schooling and certification process. With the way the economy is looking I wouldn't be upset if I could make low 30's while living at home.

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 10:35:02 pm »

Sounds like you've got a plan anyway. Be patient for a bit longer. The economy is like any other market, it has it's ups and downs, and this one should be about ready to climb. Get yourself in position to take advantage of it and you should be able to come out on top.

jaydot33

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 08:24:05 am »
 I hope to pull through or at least have a back up plan in the event that something goes wrong. But thank you for the information and encouragement!

Transk53

• Looking forward to 2013, odd is good :)
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 03:33:40 pm »
One thing I would add is know your Hardware. Build from that as Hardwware is the machine. Software is the instruction, Hardware is is what makes the software. Simplistic maybe, but that is computing in any capacity. Good luck with your endeavours :)

jaydot33

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 12:24:31 pm »
So I was browsing the MC MCSE site and stumbled upon an interesting read. The topic was titled "Getting Your First I.T. Job"

I read an eye opening, as well as realistic statement that was presented there. This has started to make me wonder a bit and actually fear that I'm wasting my time getting certifications while still in school. Here's what it said:

"Bad News #1: You did everything out of order. The correct way to go about a career in the IT industry is to get a job, work there for a while and then get certified after you gain some experience. Having an MCSE with no experience can hurt you more than it helps. Some employers may be wary that an MCSE with no experience, may be looking for a way to build their resume and move on to greener pastures and more money. Others may think that you are over-qualified for an entry level position.

Bad News #2: Some will automatically assume that you used braindumps to pass your exams. Enough said."
(I nearly memorized every practice exam question and concept to the best of my abilities right now...........................what to do now)

Am I wasting my time studying my tail off for this Net+ exam when I still have 6-7 more courses required to graduate with my associates? I'm going ballistic here studying for this exam and now I'm reading that my efforts will be in vain and may even go unnoticed by a potential employer? Any clarification and insight would be greatly appreciated!

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 02:05:37 pm »
Frankly, I don't feel that you are wasting your time. The certs that you are working on now are a far cry from an MCSE. The A+ and Network+ are both entry level certifications.

Hopefully you read the entire article. There are some excellent suggestions on ways to obtain experience as well as how to approach employment in the industry. The worst thing you can do is to lose hope. I doubt that you'll find much resentment for acquiring higher levels of certification while you're still in school. Especially since your study is related. There's nothing wrong with validating your level of accomplishment. It demonstrates your determination to excel in the field. I would be more disappointed if you didn't.

At the same time, there's no rush to become a systems engineer. You would better serve yourself to have some experience behind you before reaching that level. I know of several people that started out at an entry level and later progressed up the ranks to very promising positions. But like everything else, it takes time.

As a side note, you might be careful with your approach to the practice exams. Memorization is not always a good thing, you need to learn the technology and reasoning behind the questions. Quite often I find it's best to rely on the questions that you don't understand, and build from there.

Oh, and I added a couple of additional resources that Tag sent me to the Wiki in the Network+ section. Might check them out.

Don't get discouraged yet, you're just getting started.

jaydot33

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 03:13:35 pm »
Makes sense. I reread that and I think I may have taken that out of context a bit. As for memorization goes, I wouldn't necessarily say I memorized it, rather I have a decent grasp of the concepts and ideas presented before me in the practice exams. Granted, I won't and can't memorize EVERYTHING but I THINK it's enough....any more practice exams I can take before I go ahead and pull the trigger on this officially?

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 03:26:34 pm »
You might check the Cisco section of the Wiki, there's a few listed there. Granted they might not be exactly along the same lines as the Network+, but could provide some additional practice. And there's another link in the CCENT section that branches off of the Cisco section.

Tag

• CompTIA A+ Certified
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 07:54:38 am »
My own opinion is that knowledge is knowledge. As long as you're learning the technology and not just memorizing the questions and answers, don't let the opinions of others stop you.

Also, I posted a link to some additional practice in the Network+ board. I hope it helps.
'Tis better to keep my mouth shut and be thought a fool,
than it is to open it and remove all doubt.