Author Topic: Mobo's and BIOS  (Read 1762 times)

Description:

Transk53

• Looking forward to 2013, odd is good :)
Mobo's and BIOS
« on: January 15, 2012, 02:51:58 pm »
Whatever type of PC you purchase or build yourself, it is recommend that you always check the brand main site for BIOS upgrades. Many and many people just assume that pre built systems and sought after Mobo's have the latest stable BIOS. Stable is the key word! Ok so a LGA Socket 1366 may have shipped with a current BIOS with support for hot RAM. However, it could be say three months old. The particular RAM for example may have been optomised with BIOS settings. A rule of thumb. Check the latest BIOS upgrade from the Mobo maker. Very good practice for anybody ;)

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
Re: Mobo's and BIOS
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 03:50:22 pm »

Good advice, but the latest version is not always the best. Like you said, stable is the key.

A lot of the manufacturer support pages can be found in the Vendors and Support section of our main site. If you find any that aren't listed, post them below and we'll make sure to add them.
"Success is the small voice you hear within,
when you know you have done your best."

Transk53

• Looking forward to 2013, odd is good :)
Re: Mobo's and BIOS
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 04:10:21 pm »
the reply to the OP did not make sense.

Award and Phoenix

AMI is not accessible for some reason although I seem recollect that maybe they went under. Chances are that the BIOS you have will be from the above linkage. Again this may already be mentioned. There are a few tools avaliable that make it easier to find what BIOS you need. One thing I should mention as good practice. Make sure you back up the exsisting BIOS. DO NOT FLASH AT YOUR LEISURE, Only if needed.

Beware of things like Driver Agent, sometimes they will find a BIOS imprint that may not even be from the original maker, but will work with another chip. Flashing with anything other than a mobo manafacturer, can be dangerous to your hardware and probably screw your warrenty. In all likelyhood, it would be an ages old BIOS, but just beware. If in doubt over an old BIOS, email the mobo company for advice.

EDIT...>

This site was a Google first pager. It is a little bit on the vintage side like myself lol, but a very good article. This will cover all A+ fundamentals plus allowing a little more data. In the modern day environment, Sandra 2012 is still Queen I guess. The modern BIOS updating I assume revolves around the win flash runtime. Mind you back in the day on my DFI, I could flash via Floppy or Windows. The modern day BIOS almost certainly includes this funtion via the BIOS or an applett. Mmm, guess I will have to investigate that. Anyway, all newbies please read this. At some point, you find a Desktop with a Floppy.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:04:30 pm by Transk53 »