Author Topic: Took My Exam Today  (Read 2740 times)

Description: A little disappointed

Tag

• CompTIA A+ Certified
Took My Exam Today
« on: April 18, 2012, 01:57:32 pm »
Well, today was the day. Crammed right up until last night, got a good night's sleep, ate a light breakfast this morning, and rolled out about an hour early. Thought I might get a little more cramming in before it was time.

Then after checking in at the center, I was informed that there was an empty station and I could start whenever I was ready. You know what they say, "No guts, No glory". Away we went.

The exam seemed like it was going well, I felt confident. Over the years, I always had the luxury of referencing textbooks, owner's manuals, and even the web whenever I needed information. Here, all of a sudden, I was on my own.

Hardware wasn't too bad. I got a little on storage, primarily hard drives and their geometry, some on partitioning. They touched a bit on peripherals and cables, RAID, and cooling. They did have a bit a couple of questions about which memory was compatible with which bus speeds, and a couple on CPUs. One was which sockets a particular late model Intel processor would fit. I was totally lost there. No manual.

Had a few questions on printers. As long as you know the basic differences in how the various types of printers work, shouldn't be a problem.

Port numbers came up a few times. Network cabling and IP classes. They seemed to have a bit of a love affair with malware and social engineering and a couple of questions on dealing with irate customers.

Overall, it wasn't as bad as I expected, but it threw a curve at me now and then. Guess I have more to learn. By the way, I passed with a score of 830 out of 900. I can live with that.
'Tis better to keep my mouth shut and be thought a fool,
than it is to open it and remove all doubt.

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
Re: Took My Exam Today
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 04:40:04 pm »
Congrats on the pass. And nice review.

You still need the the 702, don't you? How soon are you going after it? I'd like to see you certified, we could use another success story.

Cheers!
"Success is the small voice you hear within,
when you know you have done your best."

Transk53

• Looking forward to 2013, odd is good :)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 07:07:35 am »
Nice one Tag  8), that is a good score. Don't see how irate customers can be relevant, surely that is down to life skills and customer service in the workplace as an individual. Anyway, nice info  ;)

Tag

• CompTIA A+ Certified
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 01:53:39 pm »

Don't see how irate customers can be relevant
Domain 6.2 deals with communication skills and professionalism. I guess they want to make sure they don't certify too many Neanderthals.

Anyway, I see the new exams are right around the corner. Guess I better get this one tucked away.

Transk53

• Looking forward to 2013, odd is good :)
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 02:43:15 am »
Would have hoped to have done mine by now. Unfortunately, been clearing a lot of debt. As the new exams are near, I think that waiting maybe be prudent.

Tag

• CompTIA A+ Certified
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 10:58:13 am »
Ahh, the old "Debt Ball and Chain". Glad to be away from that.

I probably should have already finished, but I'm really not in any hurry. As long as I get it done before it retires, I'll be happy. I've been pretty busy lately, so my studies have been kept short. Not to worry though, I'll manage.

Tag

• CompTIA A+ Certified
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 11:02:02 am »
Well, off to the wiki.