Author Topic: Power circuit issue?  (Read 2276 times)

Description:

jaydot33

Power circuit issue?
« on: August 19, 2012, 10:39:30 am »
Now this may be a sign for me to go and get my A+ or at least start studying for it, but i ran into some hardware issues on my laptop recently that drove me nuts. Currently I have a Dell XPS m1330 laptop purchased about 4-5 years ago. Out of the box it came running Vista and a poorly placed NVIDIA graphics card that was positioned in a horrific spot on the motherboard that caused it to overheat and melt. Long story short, a year and a half in, Dell recognized the issue, fixed it by giving me a brand new motherboard that was redesigned.

Recently, the battery went dead so I just used it for at school to take notes with the charger plugged in. Last week as I was using it, it just shut off on me and the green light located on the charger went out. I plugged the charger in another outlet and the green light would go off as soon as i plugged it into the laptop. So i purchased a new charger and a new battery while i was at it and behold, the SAME issue. I plugged the charger in, green light comes on, i plug it into the laptop, then green light goes out and laptop doesn't power on.  I tried with just the new battery (which had half a charge) without the charger plugged into the laptop and nothing. Is it safe to assume that it's an internal charger board issue? Any feedback on this would be much appreciated!
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."

So, the question is, how bad do you want it?

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
Re: Power circuit issue?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 10:57:36 am »
Being that you're getting the same result from both chargers and batteries, I would venture to guess that it is something internal. I have one old laptop (Compaq) that has a poor connection on the power jack and should probably be replaced, but unlike yours the unit is so old, I just use it anymore for tinkering.
"Success is the small voice you hear within,
when you know you have done your best."

Transk53

• Looking forward to 2013, odd is good :)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 09:19:57 am »
Quite possible that the circutry has taken a surge and blown or damged the VRM's. One question though. Have you tried to power up at different location? Just in case it could have been a local circuit problem with power outlets?

jaydot33

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 01:51:07 pm »
yes sir, plugged all over the house and had my mother look at me like a madman. Perhaps i should stop being cheap and just order the power board and give that a shot? Being that my hardware knowledge is limited, that's the only thing i could think of
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."

So, the question is, how bad do you want it?

Tag

• CompTIA A+ Certified
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 12:50:38 pm »
Good chance that it is the VR module, but it is also possible that the new mobo is defective. Have you checked with the diagnostics that Dell has on their website? But then I guess if you can't get it to fire up, it'll be tough to run any kind of diagnostics. I suppose it's time to dig out the multi-meter, but here's the link anyway.

Dell Support
'Tis better to keep my mouth shut and be thought a fool,
than it is to open it and remove all doubt.