Author Topic: IT Experience  (Read 1697 times)

Description:

jaydot33

IT Experience
« on: May 09, 2012, 07:48:04 am »
Morning ladies and gents,

It's been a while since I posted anything, as I have been tucked away in the woods getting incredibly lazy while attempting to soak up what I can for my next Sec+ cert at school (got stuck with the same professor as my network course. Guy blazed through the information, not even attempting to make sure we got the info) Long story short, a close friend has been working in getting his business proposal rolling and was seeking future employees. He sent me a resume of a gentleman a year younger than me, with one more cert than I have. As I looked into his resume, I noticed he had considerable amounts of IT experience. Then I looked at my current resume and realized how under qualified I am as i'm currently in an industry that does not deal with IT at all nor have I been thus far. Any idea as to where I should start looking for work experience and what I should start doing NOW so I can prepare myself to be qualified for a successful career? Looking for some enlightenment now so that I don't go 5-6 months down the road and kick myself for not doing anything before I graduated with my measly associates and small certs.
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."

So, the question is, how bad do you want it?

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
Re: IT Experience
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 10:54:42 am »
There are ways to gain experience before actually placing yourself into the job market. One of the most common is volunteer work. Libraries, schools, or non-profit organizations will often accept volunteers to fill temporary or seasonal positions. Some small businesses may even offer positions that don't require full-time personell.

I did a stretch of volunteer work for a local thrift store some time back. I would take computers that were donated, scan them for malware and run a series of diagnostics. If a machine was usable, I would printout the specs of the machine and they could put it on the shelf. If not, it was put in a parts bin for a time or recycled. For me, this was more for personal experience than actual work experience, but I built a positive relationship with the store managers and owner, and if needed, I can always use it as a reference.

Check with your school. Most schools or larger organizations usually have a dedicated IT department, some will often have an internship program. Or check some of the local repair shops or retail outlets. They may offer some sort of apprenticeship or have part-time openings for a certified tech.

Wherever you go, be sure to present yourself in a professional manner. If they don't have a volunteer program, offer your services anyway. Create the position if you have to. If you have cards printed, make sure you include your contact information and your qualifications, and be sure to leave one with them. Be courteous and prompt, and make a positive impression.

Wish I could help more,
Bill
"Success is the small voice you hear within,
when you know you have done your best."