Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1838 times)

Description:

jlundie

« on: April 26, 2012, 08:57:27 am »
Hi,
   My name is Jackie. I am new to this site and think it's wonderful. I am currently studying for the A+ 701 exam and needed some guidance. It can be overwhelming. I took the element k course and didn't really know how to study for the test. I am a teacher and want to enter the IT field. I have a CIS degree and want to use it. Also, I have a part time job doing remote tech support, which is helping me learn a lot. I just want to take the test and pass it..like real soon.

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 09:54:45 am »
Hi Jackie,

First, let me welcome you to the site and thank you for your introduction. Hopefully, we can help you find some answers.

I'm not familiar with the ElementK system. I know they've been recently purchased by SkillSoft and neither company raises any flags with the CertGuard database, so I have to assume their content is legitimate.

There are a few steps that I would recommend to get started. I have them outlined on the main site in an article called CompTIA A+ Overview and I've provided links in the article to additional resources.

If you haven't already, make sure you download a copy of the exam objectives. These will provide you with a summary of the specific topics addressed on the exams. There are two exams required for the A+, but for now, I would focus on the 220-701.

You will also need some form of text. The material you received along with your program may be sufficient, a couple that I like are the Exam Cram Fifth Edition and Mike Meyers' All-In-One Seventh Edition. The Meyers' book didn't have much coverage for Windows 7 but does include Vista. Seems they got to the publisher a little early. Good coverage of the exam except for that.

Regardless of the text you chose, be certain it addresses the current version of the exams (220-701 & 220-702). There's a lot of outdated material available that really won't help you much for the current exam.

We have additional resources listed in the main site as well as the Wiki. Take a little time to browse a bit, and if you have any questions, feel free to come back to the forums and ask away. We're still a new site, but we're always willing to help.

Welcome aboard,
Bill

"Success is the small voice you hear within,
when you know you have done your best."

jlundie

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:52:17 am »
Thanks a lot Bill. I will look for the Exam Cram 5th edition textbook. The element K material is good, but it covers a lot...somewhat overwhelming.
What about practice exams? What's good in that area?

Bill

• Administrator
    • The Antique Gique
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 12:11:58 pm »
Most quality text books will have a few review questions at the end of each chapter. Both the ExamCram and the Meyers' book do. There is a lot of practice material available on the web. You've got to be a little careful about what you use. Much of it is outdated, some is simply inaccurate.

Companies like Transcender and Boson offer some good material with their exam engines, but it usually comes with a cost. They do offer trial versions with a few questions included. Usually doesn't amount to much, but they're in the business of selling so you can't expect them to give away the whole package.

If you look in the CompTIA A+ Resource Page in the Wiki, we have a few decent resources listed that might help. Most of these will address the current exams and are offered free. There's not a lot of them there yet, but it may tide you over for a bit. And we'll add more as we locate them.

Hope this helps.
Bill
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:24:10 pm by Bill »
"Success is the small voice you hear within,
when you know you have done your best."

Transk53

• Looking forward to 2013, odd is good :)
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 02:05:26 pm »
Welcome along Jackie. Mmm, I do love newbies and the potential to be turned to the Dark Arts. Seriously though, if you have any questions or worries over that Hardware, please ask away. The Machine itself is my strong point, and yeah you guessed, love talking Hardware :)

Tag

• CompTIA A+ Certified
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 03:56:26 pm »
Hi Jackie,

Just did the 701, didn't seem as bad as most say. For the most part follow the objectives. 701 is more about knowing the basics of each of the topics and the differences in similar technologies. Installing, configuring, and troubleshooting is more prevalent in the 702.

Get aquainted with Professer Messer's Free A+ Training Courses. They're an excellent study resource and they're free online. And do check out the resources in the wiki. There's a couple of links to study guides and some practice material as well.

Welcome to our quiet little corner of the web. If you have any questions, ask away, we're here to help.
'Tis better to keep my mouth shut and be thought a fool,
than it is to open it and remove all doubt.